About Me

My photo
Art student and writer with a mildly unhealthy fashion obsession

Friday, 25 February 2011

London Fashion Weekend 2


So today was the day that I have been waiting for! London Fashion Weekend!! Bright and early (ahem 10:00) Susie, M and I did the standard train hopping to Somerset House, a really beautiful venue compared to the tent outside the Natural History Museum where I attended my first London Fashion Weekend a few years ago. To general surprise I managed to stagger across London Bridge in my coral wedges [stilts] and again across the cobbles at Somerset House. How I managed is a mystery but I was quickly collecting my Show Bag (which between you and me, had drastically dropped in standard- where I had Juicy Couture perfume in September, I now have a packet of chewing gum...) We spent a couple of content hours browsing the many stalls and had the prices been slightly more within budget, about £100 more in budget actually, I can think of many things that would be taking pride of place in my wardrobe. To name a few, an embellished Raspberry dress, a hooded chinchilla fur jacket and a perfect sheepskin aviator jacket. Still, I managed to pick up a hair band from blakegodbold which also had some beautiful collars and necklaces. My allowance was well spent on an Elle subscription also which I consider as an investment. I cant wait for my issue to arrive next month! After a appreciated lunch and delicious coffee, we split up. M went to have an Elizabeth Arden makeover and me and Susie went to queue for the catwalk. As an experienced LFW goer, I knew that for front row seats, 45 mins is a necessary price to pay! Our insight payed off and we were comfortably sitting squashed up on the front row where I can only begin to imagine who else had sat in that very place earlier that week.... After another long wait, the lights dimmed and the very same Zara walked/staggered centre catwalk to introduce the first trend; Swan Vesta. This was basically feathers, lace, tulle, crystals and chiffon all perfectly thrown together. Based on the movie 'Black Swan' which I am yet to see but am unsure whether to wait until it comes out on DVD... I'm a bit of a wimp like that.. Annnyyyyway I absolutely love this look. It was dreamlike perfection. The stylist, Miss Molly at Mandy Coakley Represents was clearly amazing and the likes of William Tempest, a personal favourite of mine, Bodyamr- whose show I saw last September and I was blown away!, Rodarte, who I believe were the people behind some of the costumes in 'Black Swan' , Alexander Wang and quite a number of others. What I also like about this trend is that it is the opposite of the colour blocking and neon that going on at the moment!
After another bout of words from Zara, we were treated to the collection of Bora Aksu, a turkish Central Saint Martins graduate who based his collection on ants. We could see armour like padding, clinched in waists and lots of ruffles. The colour scheme he used was beautiful and the patterns were gloriously geometric and under close speculation, fairly complicated.
As predicted by myself, there was obviously a Colour Blocking trend and that came next, appropriately dubbed Lady Brights.
As much as I like the trend itself, I wasnt quite so keen on some of the clothes that were sent down the catwalk but having said that, I was thrilled to see some Halston Heritage dresses and a Christopher Kane top (made of lace naturally). Call me old fashioned but some of the dresses were just to short! Your. not. supposed. to. be. able. to. see. the. model's. bum.
Thats just the way it is!
Finally, we saw the collection of Mark Fast. It was stunning. If, like me, you are a fan of fringing, then this Canadian designer will place you firmly on the cloud 9 of fringing. Famous for his knitwear. It is easy to see why. All of his clothes had great movement as they were walked down the catwalk. It was an incredible collection and a certain Black jumpsuit and a White dress stole the show.
Dont get me wrong, most of the clothes were beautiful but...were the models? The stick thin girls were impossible to ignore (I put the impossible to ignore bit down to M gasping and muttering about feeling sick about their weight). Wasnt size zero over? Well apparently not, you only have to look at Erdem's A/W show to see a particular Chloe Memisevic aka walking coat hanger... Then again, Victoria Beckham had the right idea by banning the unhealthy aspect in her shows. I think this problem needs to be stopped once and for all!















i'm wearing:
Coral espadrilles- Topshop
Black Stockings- M&S
Grey wool trousers- Vintage
Bag- Spitalfields Market
Belt- Vintage
Shirt- Oasis
Cardigan- Mango
Hairband- blakegodblod
Coral Lipstick- Bobbi Brown

In a mist of euphoria, I managed to walk (as gracefully as possible) out of the show tent and towards the exit, for as much as I wished to stay there forever and ever, I had seen everything and I didn't have the means to buy anything else. After a shoe change, we walked considerably faster back to Waterloo and caught a train almost immediately.
Typically, the skirt I ordered to wear for today was sitting in my hallway. My anger at Royal Mail was short lived and rather caught up in the moment, I had a small photoshoot to show it off.



i'm wearing:
Skirt- American Aparell
Shoes and Stockings see above
Crop top- Topshop
Fur Scarf- My mums wardrobe
Ring- Accessorize
Pink Lipstick- Elizabeth Arden
If you have never been to LFWeekend, then I URGE YOU TO GO! Its a real experience! Well thats me done- its been a long day and the feeling has finally started to come back to my feet. Im in a substantial amount of pain!
LB xx

1 comment:

  1. ah looks like you had a great time! these collections are amazing, so unique and gorgeous! that first piece is gooorgeous :)

    hope you'll visit/follow
    www.marylee31.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Please follow Pretty Things and let me know what you think! Leave a url for your blog (if you have one)- I would love to check it out! Thanks so much!